“You are what you eat,” or so the old saying goes. We say that you also smile what you eat! The foods and beverages that you consume have a huge effect on your mouth – and it isn’t all bad. In fact, there are lots of opportunities to eat and drink things that can support good oral health.
Here are a few quick suggestions to help keep your mouth and your body healthy:
- Cut down on sugary or carbohydrate rich foods and add more Xylitol-based gum and mints. Xylitol actually helps prevent the formation of cavities!
- Avoid foods that have the deadly three – sugar, acid and stickiness. If you do eat foods that are highly acidic, wait at least 30 minutes to brush.
- Add fresh, unprocessed foods to your diet. In other words, if you want a snack between meals, try something like crisp and fresh raw veggies or crunchy fruit.
- Add more milk, cheese or yogurt to your diet. Dairy products seem to lessen the occurrence or tooth and gum disease and protect your tooth enamel by providing necessary calcium.
- Drink tea! Compounds in black tea can kill growth and acid production of cavity-causing bacteria in dental plaque.
To find out more about eating right for a healthy mouth and to discover ways our dental care can help too, call our Boulder, Colorado dental office at 303-447-9161 and see what we can do for you.